Skip to main content

Point Loma, San Diego


This is Dr. Travelbest's Guide

In this episode: FAQ is: Who sets the standards for airline seats?

Today’s Destination is: Point Loma, San Diego

Today’s Lesson Learned- I forgot the tent poles.

Travel Advice:  Join the US STEP program if you plan to travel out of the country in the next year.

 

FAQ: Rebecca asks, Do the airline seats seem to be getting smaller these days? Am I the only one who sees or feels this happening? I would like to know. Also, please give me information on how much space should be on a plane for my seat. I’m struggling with this issue now. Who sets the standards for airline seats?

 

Answer: Dear Rebecca, You are being heard. I’m so glad you asked. I’ve wondered the same thing. In the USA, The Federal Aviation Administration is looking at a rule for minimum amounts for the width of airplane seats and the distance between the front of one seat and the back of the seat ahead.  They are gathering public comments on the issue now. Their concern is safety. If seats are too small, it can hurt evacuations in an emergency. How is your legroom? We want to hear from you now, so contact the FAA to give them your concerns.

Today’s destination: Point Loma, San Diego

 

Point Loma is a land mass that sticks out in the Pacific Ocean, a large peninsula; on the water, you can’t go from Downtown San Diego without bumping into this point. So it was one of the first places to land for settlers in the land. 

 

Why visit Point Loma? The National Park, Cabrillo National Monument, and the lighthouse are the most famous places to visit as a traveler. This is one best viewpoints for the entire city and region. You will want to spend a half day exploring nature and the visitor center. You can see inside the lighthouse and climb the stairs to see what it was like to live there hundreds of years ago. I highly recommend this destination.

 

You can see Mexico, downtown, and a lot of ocean from here.

Tonight, I met a couple from Lexington, Kentucky, and they visited the lighthouse today. They raved about the experience of being in the home that was a lighthouse and being able to see afar.

 

The tidepools are also worth seeing. If you have never been to a tidepool, it’s when the ocean tides recede, and you can see the small sea creatures like starfish and crabs among the nooks and crannies of the rocks on the beach, walking carefully not to disturb wildlife. 

 

My favorite place to eat fresh seafood locally is Point Loma Seafoods. My favorite Coffee shop is Peet’s. My favorite YMCA is Ryan Family Y. My Favorite thrift store is Goodwill San Diego.

Point Loma has Sunset Cliffs Blvd, which has great views and sunsets. You can swim here, too, if you can navigate the hike safely. However, it’s not meant for the faint of heart, as swimming here is not as safe. It’s better to head north to the public beaches. You’ll also see beaches just for dogs, and dozens of them running around the sandy beach.

 

You’ll be in Ocean Beach, which is a community next door, almost connected. 

 

My first visit was in 1982, as I was relocating from Chicago. Little did I know how this part of the region would impact my life when I prayed in my car that day. I said out loud, “Lord, if it is meant to be, find my subsequent work and life in this city. So I prayed in my car, parked on Cornish Drive, a block from where I lived a few months later. Yes, the same street, about a block from where this prayer happened.

And it turned out great for the past several, well, 40 years, it’s been.

Today’s Mistake- Forgot the tent poles

 

I was camping in Nevada along a beautiful river. I brought my tent but forgot to bring the tent poles. So, I slept under the stars. It was decent weather that night, so pretty good. Don’t forget your tent poles as I did. 

 

Today’s Travel Advice-Join the US STEP program if you plan to travel out of the country in the next year.

 

I joined the US STEP program in 2023, and they will inform me when I travel abroad and see a problem in a country I visit. Also, they will have my information if I need to contact them, making it easier to find and help me.

They help people with problems. I hope I don’t need to contact them, but better safe than sorry.


Check out this episode!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northwest suburbs, Chicago

https://www.amazon.com/Steps-Solo-Travel-womans-travel/dp/0963918737 Buy the book today on Amazon. In this episode: The FAQ is: What are some good travel questions to ask other travelers? Today’s Destination: Northwest Suburbs, Chicago Today’s Mistake:  Getting stuck under the Coronado Bay Bridge Travel Advice:  Record your travel stories The FAQ is:.What are some good travel questions to ask other Travelers?  I really like this question. People always ask me what was your favorite trip so far? And I usually answer them about my last trip for my next trip. But there are many other questions that could be asked.    Destination:  Northwest suburbs, Chicago For outdoor art, athenaeum-international-sculpture park, in Schaumburg. https://www.chicagonorthwest.com/listing/chicago-athenaeum-international-sculpture-park/1383/   If you want to go exploring in the woods I would recommend Busse Woods, in Rolling Meadows, for Fishing and boating and for their nature center. https:

RIP Dean Alphonso Buell

Celebrating the life of Dean Alphonso Buell in April, 2012 with his mom and two friends. Dr. Travelbest is priviledged to know Raquel Giraldez, mother of the deceased, as she was the designer and illustrator and most travelled friend of Dr. Travelbest in 1993 as the book was being written and published. Dean was involved with the editorial, even though he was a youngster at the time. Thanks, Dean, for sharing your mom so that Dr. Travelbest could teach others about Independent Travel. Speaking of travel, this is the view from the front yard of Raquel's home in Buellton, CA. The mountains in the distant background are picture postcard on this memorable day, right near the 101. (Photos: top: view from Raquels, bottom: center, Raquel and right, Rosanna Figuerola (sp?) at the Celebration of Dean's 24 years on the earth.) There were so many stars that night, we knew that Dean was watching us from above with his new friends.

Special Episode: Hotels in Del Mar, CA

Special Episode: Hotels in Del Mar, CA   Welcome to Dr. Mary Travelbest’s 5 Steps to Solo Travel Guide, for women like you who need extra support traveling (slowly) one woman at a time. Please share this podcast with your mom, aunts, and friends. I appreciate your feedback.   I’ve returned from a 90-day trip around the globe to every time zone on the planet. My mission is world peace through cultural exchange. I was sustainable when I could by using local transportation, buses, and trains. I was solo, carrying a small backpack, called a “personal item” that fit under the seat in front of me on a plane.   In this episode, FAQ is : Where was your next favorite place on your 90-day trip? . Today’s Destination is: Special Episode: Hotels in Del Mar Today’s Mistake- I booked a hotel that was really a hostel in Manila Travel Advice: Book at the source when you can and pay less plus control more.   FAQ: Where was your next favorite place on your 90-day trip?   Answe