Skip to main content

90 Days Around the World Part 2


Special Edition of Dr. Travelbest Podcast: Part  2 

 

 Responses to Your Questions….. About the Around the Globe adventure that I recently took. 

 

7. What did you learn about yourself?

 

I learned that making decisions is probably the best skill to have when traveling solo. Unless I made a decision, I was not going anywhere. I also learned that I could do a lot more than I had expected of myself. 

Resiliency was one of my takeaways from this adventure.

 

8. Often, when we are courageous, it builds up the muscles and makes you crave to do it repeatedly. Does that ring true for you?

 

The courageous muscle has been working hard. I read Ryan Berman’s book, Courageous, and that also inspired me to make this journey.

 

An example of this is that by the end of the trip, I was getting really good at navigating using the many tools on my smart phone. I was excited to use them, instead of dreading it.

 

9. If you could go back and tell yourself something just before you boarded that first plane, what would it have been?

 

Great question. Bring an ATM card for just in case! I had plenty of cash, so I thought. It would have been so helpful if I had brought the plastic. I did not use cash much at all after leaving Asia, but it would have been helpful, instead of currency exchanges.

 

10. Did you have any doubts or fear during the journey?

 

Yes, especially in India and Italy. In India, I was challenged in ways you would expect. In Italy, I was caught on a public bus without payment, because I downloaded the app, signed up for the service, but I could not activate my payment because of my lack of texting back in the US. I had to pay a steep fine, which I understood was the penalty for not having payment. Due to the language and other barriers, I was disappointed.

 

11. Best food? Best place you stayed? Best weather?

 

Food? I’m not a foodie, but I did enjoy the pizza in Florence. Thin crust with just the right ingredients. The butter and creams in Ireland and Scotland were really tasty, too.

Best stay? Cochin, India. The family sent their driver to pick me up at the airport. They had many servants, who were able to help me adjust to the different food tastes. They had separate meals without chilis for me.

Best Weather? Iceland. The rest of the trip was very hot, so the final stop was cool, but not cold. It was pleasant every day, even a bit rainy, which was refreshing.

 

12. Worst food? Worst place you stayed? Worst weather?

 

Worst food? Chennai, India. It was like a fire in my mouth, even when I asked for not spicy. The chili’s were too hot. I ate from a jar of peanut butter here for two days.

Worst place I stayed? Manila Hotel, which was really a hostel trying to upgrade. I should have paid more and booked outside of the city.  The “kitchen” was a broken tiny refrigerator and sink—nothing more than that, which was dishonest. A repairman walked into my room without knocking. I complained for days and got little response.

Worst weather? Cambodia, because it was just really humid and sticky all the time. 

 

13. Can you tell me any words of inspiration for others thinking about pushing themselves into something courageous?

 

If you have a goal, break it into pieces so you can take it one step at a time. 

 

Reward yourself for mini-milestones. I had a few massages on my trip, not only for the physical therapy but also as a mental reward for staying the course. They were really cheap in Asia, but not so much after that.

 

Thank you for listening to this. Please follow and share comments. What questions did I not answer? I may do another special edition if you ask for it.

 


Check out this episode!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northwest suburbs, Chicago

https://www.amazon.com/Steps-Solo-Travel-womans-travel/dp/0963918737 Buy the book today on Amazon. In this episode: The FAQ is: What are some good travel questions to ask other travelers? Today’s Destination: Northwest Suburbs, Chicago Today’s Mistake:  Getting stuck under the Coronado Bay Bridge Travel Advice:  Record your travel stories The FAQ is:.What are some good travel questions to ask other Travelers?  I really like this question. People always ask me what was your favorite trip so far? And I usually answer them about my last trip for my next trip. But there are many other questions that could be asked.    Destination:  Northwest suburbs, Chicago For outdoor art, athenaeum-international-sculpture park, in Schaumburg. https://www.chicagonorthwest.com/listing/chicago-athenaeum-international-sculpture-park/1383/   If you want to go exploring in the woods I would recommend Busse Woods, in Rolling Meadows, for Fishing and boating and for their nature center. https:

RIP Dean Alphonso Buell

Celebrating the life of Dean Alphonso Buell in April, 2012 with his mom and two friends. Dr. Travelbest is priviledged to know Raquel Giraldez, mother of the deceased, as she was the designer and illustrator and most travelled friend of Dr. Travelbest in 1993 as the book was being written and published. Dean was involved with the editorial, even though he was a youngster at the time. Thanks, Dean, for sharing your mom so that Dr. Travelbest could teach others about Independent Travel. Speaking of travel, this is the view from the front yard of Raquel's home in Buellton, CA. The mountains in the distant background are picture postcard on this memorable day, right near the 101. (Photos: top: view from Raquels, bottom: center, Raquel and right, Rosanna Figuerola (sp?) at the Celebration of Dean's 24 years on the earth.) There were so many stars that night, we knew that Dean was watching us from above with his new friends.

Special Episode: Hotels in Del Mar, CA

Special Episode: Hotels in Del Mar, CA   Welcome to Dr. Mary Travelbest’s 5 Steps to Solo Travel Guide, for women like you who need extra support traveling (slowly) one woman at a time. Please share this podcast with your mom, aunts, and friends. I appreciate your feedback.   I’ve returned from a 90-day trip around the globe to every time zone on the planet. My mission is world peace through cultural exchange. I was sustainable when I could by using local transportation, buses, and trains. I was solo, carrying a small backpack, called a “personal item” that fit under the seat in front of me on a plane.   In this episode, FAQ is : Where was your next favorite place on your 90-day trip? . Today’s Destination is: Special Episode: Hotels in Del Mar Today’s Mistake- I booked a hotel that was really a hostel in Manila Travel Advice: Book at the source when you can and pay less plus control more.   FAQ: Where was your next favorite place on your 90-day trip?   Answe